Sunday, April 4, 2010

Park Place Lexus Criteriums - Dallas

Saturday started out early as we headed out to the Texas State Fair Grounds in Dallas. Bryan Fawley (with Dallas Racing) put together a nice 'keep you on your toes' course. The course included a 180, multiple turns with more than 90 degrees and a roundabout. I knew that this was going to be a wildly technical and challenging course. Bryan had designed some pretty sick cyclocross courses this past fall... at least there was no corkscrew!

I arrived at the course to be there for the earlier events and show off the Williams Wheels. Little did I know, that was not the only reason I was there that day. Right in front of my eyes, just 10 feet away, four riders in the current race tangled with the fencing with one rider going over the bars and met the ground face first. I rushed over, did a quick triage and tended to the most critical. Cracked helmet, face bleeding but he was conscious at least. That was the good part. Even though he wanted to just hop up, I insisted he wait for the ambulance. The ambulance arrived and he was off to the hospital to be checked out. I didn't know it at the time, but I would be seeing him again soon.

Marc and Jason arrived a short time later. We got the tent up, wheels out and started getting ready for the race. We had our usual debate over the wheels of choice for the day and the tire pressure for the course...you know...fun stuff. We did our warm up and off to the line.


The race started fairly quiet. In lap four, just in front of me on the roundabout three or four riders tangle up. I just made it around the outside by inches. Whew, made it by that. A split formed and I made it across to the front group where Marc and Jason were. For several laps, Marc, Jason and I were riding together. We just passed the mid point in the race and I had slid back from Marc and Jason for a couple laps. I was thinking now was the time for the three of us to try out the field to see how reactive they would be. And then it happened.



Just after the 180 turn, we were accelerating and Marc got a little tangled with another rider and may have dropped in the wheel catching crack that was there. In an instant, Marc was slammed directly to the ground landing on the back of his head and neck. He was then hit broadside by another rider that couldn't avoid him. It was gruesome. Several other racers from other events as well as an official rushed to his aid. Marc was out cold. Jim arrived a few minutes later after not seeing Marc in the field. Every lap, Jim was giving us updates on his condition. The ambulance was on the way. Jason and I continued to race when Jim gave a thumbs up. It was hard to race though...mentally. It took several laps to regain the "edge" needed for technical crit racing. On the last lap, accelerating nicely, moving into position, dodging water bottle grenades and minor mishaps, Jason and I both ended the race in the top 10. Jason took 4th and I took 10th.

After crossing the line, we proceeded to take down the tent and head to the hospital. When we arrived, Marc was waiting for a head and neck CT. I examined his Rudy Project Sterling helmet. It did exactly what it was designed to do. It held together but had multiple cracks. When we first got these helmets, we thought the fit was different than others we had in the past. It felt like it provided more protection to the back of the head. The precise point where Marc hit. Thankfully, he left the hospital later that evening with a nice bump to the head and a neck strain.

While walking down the hall at the hospital, I came across the other rider I helped earlier that day. He ended up with some stitches, facial bruising, a broken eye socket, broken sinus and was cleared for head and neck injuries. He left the hospital a short time later.

From the Williams Cycling Texas Team, we would like to extend a "Thanks" to all of you who helped work Marc's accident. You guys made a really bad situation a manageable one. You kept Marc safe and the field on the course safe.